Saturday, April 27, 2013

A Treasure in Albenga

Early Saturday morning greetings from Nervi, a small seaside town on the eastern end of Genoa. Sitting here as a gentle rain falls, with a breeze coming off the Ligurian Sea a few hundred meters from the window.

Yesterday, after leaving the mountains, traveled through Piemonte region and to the region of Liguria. I have had my heart set on visiting the baptistery and font at Albenga. The font itself is what remains of a 5th century octagonal baptism font; the octagonal building which surround it is a restoration done in the 19th century. Curiously, photographs inside are forbidden. So, I took this video outside of the baptistery and at the end you can peek inside. Sshhhh! Don't tell the woman inside!


This little town, hardly on anyone's tourist map, is the quintessential Italian seaside town; narrow streets with shops and cafes all along. The cathedral and its baptistery are set in a beautiful piazza.

video

After spending time in Albenga, drove here to Nervi. Next it off to Siena, where baptisteries and fonts will be visited in Pisa, Lucca, Pistoia, and perhaps some undiscovered locations in Tuscany.

There is one photo I want to leave you with this morning. Using an extension rod with the camera fastened to it, I was able to get this photograph from the very center of the baptism font in Parma, with the camera directed to the ceiling. This was the view that a newly baptized person would have seen had that person looked straight up when coming out of the waters of baptism.


Spectacular.

The 2014 pilgrimage is beginning to take shape in my mind. When I return to Chicago, I will contacting the Catholic pilgrimage company to begin our discussions.

I hope you have enjoyed these photos and videos.

Hoping to get to Mass at least twice this weekend. Hopefully I will have photos and videos to share.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: