Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A Magnificent Detour

Tuesday evening greetings from Isola d'Asti, here in northwest Italy.

Decided late last night to take a little detour on the way here from Modena. Late this morning I arrived in Milan; just couldn't resist the opportunity to visit one of the most significant baptism sites on the planet: the archaeological site unearthed in 1961-62 during a construction project beneath the piazza in front of the cathedral in Milan. Here was discovered the fourth century font in which Saint Ambrose baptized Saint Augustine. Here are some photos of the wonderfully designed site, much improved since the last time I was here.


The photo above shows some of the elaborate system for filling the large octagonal font, which you can see in the back.

And here is a shot of the font itself.


Friends, as I stood in this holy space, I couldn't help but think of the hundreds of workshops and presentations I have given that quote the mystagogical homilies of Saint Ambrose and Saint Augustine. To be standing in this place today brought tears of gratitude and wonder to my eyes. Here's one more angle, where you can really see the octagonal shape, the symbol of the eighth day.



What an amazing day; I feel so blessed to be able to visit these sites and, hopefully, to lead others here next year.

Finally, a quick video I took out in the piazza, truly one of the most beautiful outdoor spaces on earth.


Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: