Thursday, March 28, 2013

Anointed

Holy Thursday greetings.

It's all over the internet and Facebook, but just in case you missed it, here is the full text of pope Francis' Chrism Mass homily.

The homily ends with the following:

"Dear priests, may God the Father renew in us the Spirit of holiness with whom we have been anointed. May he renew his Spirit in our hearts, that this anointing may spread to everyone, even to those “outskirts” where our faithful people most look for it and most appreciate it. May our people sense that we are the Lord’s disciples; may they feel that their names are written upon our priestly vestments and that we seek no other identity; and may they receive through our words and deeds the oil of gladness which Jesus, the Anointed One, came to bring us. Amen."

Even though I am not an ordained priest, I do share in the priestly ministry of Christ through my baptism. I find the pope's words to be an inspiration. As one who is anointed "priest, prophet, and king," I bear a heavy responsibility to spread that anointing to everyone. Thank God for our annual celebration of the Triduum, where we are reminded again that we are baptized into Christ Jesus.



I will have a different kind of Triduum this year. I will be at my parish tonight and tomorrow for the celebrations. But I leave town on Saturday morning to grieve the loss of my friend Mary Miller, along with her family and friends. I don't return to Chicago until Sunday morning. So my vigil this year will be at the side of the remains of my friend.

I will hold all of you in prayer as we celebrate the paschal mystery in myriad ways over the next few days. And please pray for my friend Mary, that she will know the comfort of God's eternal peace.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.




No comments: