Tuesday, January 29, 2013

New Translation Tuesday: Missing the Forest

"New Translation Tuesday" greetings from Chicago, where it is currently 61 degrees!



Something struck me when I attended Mass this past Sunday. I have been paying such close attention and, frankly, struggling at times with the new translation, that I have lost focus on other parts of the Mass. The scripture readings this past Sunday were proclaimed beautifully and powerfully in my parish. And the pastor's homily was quite moving. It made me realize that I may have been missing the proverbial forest for the trees over these past many months. When our deacon proclaimed the Gospel and finished with the words, "Today this Scripture passage is fulfilled in your hearing," I was actually moved to tears. The pastor focused on the word "today" in his homily, urging us to realize that the Lord's words are fulfilled in the "today" of our lives; if we wait until "tomorrow," or dwell on "yesterday," we may lose sight of what the Lord is working "today."



With my own focus on the new translation, I think I have been missing the "today" impact of the Scripture readings. So, my new pledge is to try to see the entire liturgical "forest."

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: