Thursday, January 17, 2013

New Translation Thursday: Celebrating the Mystery in Albuquerque

"New Translation Thursday" greetings from Albuquerque, New Mexico. When I landed here yesterday, it was colder than it had been in Chicago when I left; "But it's a dry cold!"
Well, last night I delivered the keynote address for the 51st annual Southwest Liturgical Conference Study Week. My focus was on the paschal mystery and, more directly, sharing some of my own paschal journey. I love the Southwest; have lots of great friends down here and the hospitality and genuine sharing of faith and friendship is palpable.

This morning, we will be headed by bus to Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary parish for Mass celebrated by Archbishop Sheehan, the archbishop of Santa Fe; Albuquerque is in the Santa Fe diocese. This study week is taking an unusual and, I believe, helpful course. Following the Mass, we will remain at Most Holy Rosary for a one hour mystagogical session, aimed at helping us probe the deeper meanings of the celebration of Mass. That is going to occur all week as the liturgies are celebrated. Should be interesting to watch and get into myself.

Well, I will report as the week continues; I am giving two workshops, one tomorrow and one on Saturday.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

1 comment:

Fr. Gene Vavrick said...

Jerry,

Hope your time in the Southwest is good.

Please share your experience of the "mystagogical sessions" as we at FDLC are very interested in incorporating similar experiences into our National Gathering.

Peace,

Fr. Gene Vavrick