Tuesday, December 4, 2012

New Translation Tuesday: "The Second Time Around"

"New Translation Tuesday" greetings to all.



This past Sunday, the First Sunday of Advent, was obviously the first anniversary of the implementation of the new translation of The Roman Missal.

When my pastor prayed the Collect, I was surprised at how I remembered that text from when it was proclaimed last year. Of course, my ears were so attuned to the new translation last year on that Sunday; I was looking for ways to comment on the text for my blog. Well, on Sunday, there was a familiarity with this text that just seemed kind of settled for me.

My pastor preached an inspiring homily during which he pointed us to the end times. He quoted the Collect:
" . . . the resolve to run forth to meet your Christ with righteous deeds at his coming . . ." and it fit quite nicely into his overall homily.

This just all felt quite right to me, and it surprised me somewhat. As much as I stand before the new translation with both critical and appreciative eyes, it all comes down to the text's ability to be a vehicle for God's redemptive action in our own lives. On Sunday, I experienced that action through the text.

What was going on inside you when you heard those texts "the second time around"?

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

4 comments:

FJH 3rd said...

My reaction to the "second time around" was much the same as the first time around: the propers seem to convey a richer reflection on the truth being proclaimed, and the ordinary parts are much more satisfying and uplifting that their predecessor versions. It's a bit of a surprise to realize these new texts have been with us only one year. To me, they already seem well entrenched. I suppose my attendance at daily Mass has helped get them more deeply ingrained!

PS Our parish has switched to your firm's missalette, Jerry, from years with a competitor. I enjoyed your introductory comments on the inside front cover, having followed this blog since its inception!

Jerry Galipeau, D. Min. said...

Thanks very much for your comments and continued dedicated following of Gotta Sing Gotta Pray. On behalf of the WLP and J.S. Paluch family, thank you for switching to our missalette; welcome to the family!
Peace,
Jerry

Alan Hommerding said...

The Advent I collect was the one I used in the workshops I gave on the new translation - I was pleasantly surprised to find that I probably could have recited it along with the priest, from memory! What's best about the new translation - "the resolve to run forth" - things that were completely covered over in the Sacramentary translation, are present in this prayer. Our priests also seemed more comfortable with the style of the language ... though the length of some of the Christ the King sentences were very evident last week!
About a month ago I had a parishioner remark (in regard to the Creed) "I don't really remember the old translation very well any more."

Jeff Rexhausen said...

Beautiful words, but ... bad grammar is still bad grammar. My high school Latin teacher wouldn't give me a better grade for repeating the same poor translation.

I feel like I'm on a roller coaster - the same prayer can lift me up and shove my face in the mud.