Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Lost Art?

Wednesday greetings from a cold and overcast city of Chicago. We are currently under a "Winter Storm Watch." The first storm of the season is always accompanied by hype and excitement.

I have been watching and reading the news regarding Friday's tragedy in Connecticut. There is one thing that "we the people" seem to agree on: that something must be done. This is the case for so many issues in our country and, dare I say, our Church, these days. On so many issues, we all seem to agree: something must be done. The sad reality (which I hope will change in my own lifetime) is that we are so polarized politically and in our religious viewpoints that we simply haven't been able to agree on what the "something" is. We get so mired in our rhetoric that the problems of violence and injustice continue to escalate as "we the people" continue to argue with one another. The art of compromise appears to be a lost art.

This blog is really no place to air political viewpoints, so I am not going to do so here. I am the kind of person who, when I read a direct quote from an elected official, or listen to them speak, have no hesitation when it comes to sending an e-mail to him or her with my own reaction; positive and negative. I know that these e-mails are probably read by some staffer and never reach the elected official, but at least I have the satisfaction of knowing I did something to add my own voice.

Quite a few years ago, I sent a letter to a sitting president, critical of a policy he was espousing; I supported little of what this particular president stood for. I never received a single response, until a week before Christmas when, in the mail, I received an eight by ten glossy photograph of this president and his wife brightly smiling at me. The area beneath the photograph read, "Thank you for your support."
Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: