Friday, October 26, 2012

A Grateful Heart to the People of Saint John Nepomuk

Friday greetings from a sunny and cool Midwest. As I watch the reports of Hurricane Sandy out in the Atlantic, I am growing worried for my family on the East Coast. For those of you in the path of this storm, please be safe and know of the prayers of your brothers and sisters.

Well, it is great to be home here in Chicago. But I did want to share some photos I took while at Saint John Nepomuk parish in Yukon, Oklahoma.

Here are a few  of the exterior:




This was originally a long, narrow church. That original structure was converted to a gathering space and day chapel, and the new, much larger church was built right next to it. Here is the interior:




The font, which you can see on the right hand side, was actually added to the marble steps and is pretty ingenious:



That's a statue of the parish's patron behind the font. Below the statue, inset into the marble, is a lighted golden casket, containing a relic of the saint. In this photo, you get a better sense of how the font works:



I had a wonderful experience of very good liturgy at Saint John's. The pastor chants pretty much as beautifully as any priest I have ever heard. He went to the seminary at Saint Meinrad in Indiana, where he was obviously influenced by the Benedictine monks there.

I will have more to say about chant and the new translation when New Translation Tuesday rolls around.

I hope that, wherever you are, you have a safe and blessed weekend. It will be good to be back at Saint James on Sunday. While in Oklahoma, a very kind woman gave me a check written out to Saint James; perhaps this is the first donation to our new building fund!

Thank you, people of Saint John Nepomuk in Yukon, Oklahoma!

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.


No comments: