Saturday, September 22, 2012

Saturday Greetings from the Great Diocese of Tyler

Saturday morning greetings from the Diocese of Tyler, here in East Texas.



I thoroughly enjoyed the formation day for clergy here yesterday; the focus was on mystagogical/liturgical catechesis. I reviewed mystagogy from two angles: its historical development and its meaning in the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults. The clergy here have a great morale and they seemed to engage wholeheartedly in the presentations. Currently, the Diocese of Tyler is waiting for the appointment of a new bishop. Please pray for the clergy and the great people of this diocese (which is 40% Hispanic); pray that their new shepherd will lead them and guide them to a closer relationship with the Lord.

In a little while, I will be heading to the diocesan chancery office, where I will do the second part of this two-day workshop; this time for the lay ecclesial ministers of the diocese. The focus is the same as it was yesterday. We are beginning a bit differently today. This morning we will begin with the celebration of the Eucharist. After a short break, I will lead the group in a mystgogical reflection on the Eucharist just celebrated. My aim here is to show those in attendance a method of mystagogy by actually doing it. Then, after lunch, we will examine the method used and then I will give them some historical background on mystagogy, much as I did yesterday. I try to do my best to weave in stories and practical examples so that people can see that mystagogical catechesis is very do-able.

Usually on these kinds of trips, I don't really get the opportunity to see the local area too much. Last night, I was treated to dinner at a little restaurant, "Currents." A small place, not really easy to see from the main road, it specialized in French and American cuisine. Here's a shot of the interior:



As I said, a small place, but let me tell you, this "city boy" had one of the best meals he has had in a very long time at this little gem in East Texas. If you are ever in this area, Currents is a must!

It's been an exciting few days here in one of my favorite dioceses in the country.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: