Thursday, September 13, 2012

New Translation Thursday: Longing for Consistency

"New Translation Thursday" felicitations to all.



I am noticing one practice that has developed in me when I go to Mass on Sundays. Perhaps this has developed because of the fact that during the ensuing week I will be offering some comments about the prayers prayed at Mass. I am most definitely paying much closer attention to the prayers prayed by the celebrant. The fact that my pastor takes good care in his slow and deliberate delivery also contributes.

For instance, after Communion on Sunday, when he began the prayer, I really listened closely:

Grant that your faithful, O Lord,
whom you nourish and endow with life
through the food of your Word and heavenly Sacrament,
may so benefit from your beloved Son's great gifts
that we may merit an eternal share in his life.
Who lives and reigns for ever and ever.

It could be argued that this prayer is simply too long. But this past Sunday, my pastor prayed it in a way that made it make sense to me. I came away with an increased understanding that the Word and the Sacrament are both food that endow me with life and that these two gifts nourish me on my way to heaven (hopefully!).

Strange how sometimes these prayers are immediately grasped and at other times I am left scratching my head, wondering what the prayer meant. I guess I am in a state of longing for consistency. How about you?

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: