Tuesday, July 17, 2012

New Translation Tuesday: Sunday's Collect

"New Translation Tuesday" greetings from the baking Midwest.

So, what was your experience with Sunday's collect? Here is the text as it appears in The Roman Missal:

O God, who show the light of your truth
to those who go astray,
so that they may return to the right path,
give all who for the faith they profess
are accounted Christians
the grace to reject whatever is contrary to the name of Christ
and to strive after all that does it honor.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.

I was, as you can imagne, especially attentive at my parish on Sunday. The celebrant prayed the prayer slowly and deliberately. When he got to the line just before the doxology, something immediately caught my ear. I believe he said ". . . the grace to reject whatever is contrary to the name of Christ and to strive after all that does Christ's name honor." All I know is that the "it" was replaced, and guess what? The prayer made immediate sense to me.

I did receive an e-mail on Sunday night, from a frequent follower of this blog, who wrote the following:

Dear Jerry,

As I’ve mentioned in some past comments, our pastor has put a lot of effort into making the new translation work for our parish, and the assembly has generally been able to maintain its broad and strong participation in both sung and spoken parts of the Mass.



Given this past, I was a bit surprised by what happened with this Sunday’s collect. First of all, our pastor offered a bit of explanation before he started it, something I never heard him do before. Second, while he often uses pauses to help the people grasp the meaning of the prayer, this Sunday he incorporated a number of extended pauses to give people a chance to think through the various lines. While he didn’t really stumble during the prayer, he found it necessary to repeat phrases a couple of times in order to try to convey the prayer. Despite all of this, there were more people than usual who seemed to be totally lost with regard to the meaning of the prayer (puzzled looks, glancing back and forth between the missalette and the pastor).


The pastor himself seemed to struggle with the prayer after communion.

So, there are two examples from two different parishes.

Feel free to share your experience by clicking the "comments" section below. Or you can always send me an e-mail here at WLP: galipeauj@jspaluch.com.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

1 comment:

Christian Cosas said...

At our Saturday evening vigil mass, I asked a few parishioners to keep their ears open for the collect. And when the moment came and our pastor (who is always very well-prepared) read it, I totally zoned out and missed it! One couple actually read along in the missalette, and claimed to make sense of it after reading through it a few more times (I fear, at the expense of the Old Testament reading). Another parishioner was plainly blunt: "I didn't get it."

Sunday morning, after my zone-out, I resolved to really concentrate after the Gloria. We had a visiting Carmelite priest preside, and it was painfully obvious he was not prepared for it. He made several awkward starts and stops, repeated a few words, and generally appeared befuddled. He didn't fare very well through the Eucharistic Prayer either.

For the late morning mass, our pastor presided again... and I zoned out again.