Tuesday, July 3, 2012

New Translation Tuesday: Simple Made a Difference

"New Translation" very warm greetings from Chicago, where the temperatures are expected to reach 100 today and tomorrow.

At Sunday's Mass at my parish, Saint James, we had "Father Visitor" as the celebrant; our pastor is on vacation. I use "Father Visitor" in a somewhat tongue-in-cheek fashion. But it irks me when a visiting priest doesn't introduce himself or doesn't ask a member of the parish staff to do so at the beginning of the Mass. Just a pet peave of mine.

At any rate, the celebrant was young (30's) and is a Carmelite priest. I was trying to think of a word that would most appropriately describe his presiding "style." And I found it: simple. He obviously prepared the texts well and they really fell off his tongue quite simply and naturally. He treated the words the way he treated the sacred vessels; with dignity and reverence.

You know how much I was moved by Sunday's Mass at Saint James (just read yesterday's post to find out). This priest made a real difference.



I hope that your celebration of our nation's independence from the Brits is a good one. And try to keep cool; about most things!

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: