Friday, June 8, 2012

Variations by Peter Kolar

Friday greetings from beautiful, sunny, and warm Chicago.

I returned to the city yesterday after a very short trip to Los Angeles for a few meetings. I enjoy Southern California and wish that I could have remained just a little longer.

When I returned here to the office this morning, I found a copy of Catolico, which is the Archdiocese of Chicago's monthly Catholic newspaper. The June issue features a review (in Spanish) of WLP's own Peter Kolar's debut piano CD, Variations.


If you were to purchase one physical CD or download just one electronic version of an album this year, I would suggest Variations. Here is a snippet of "Variations on LAMBILOTTE (Come Holy Ghost)."

Peter's skill at the keyboard is on full display on this album.

I remember the first time I experienced Peter's playing. It was probably fifteen years ago at an Archdiocesan conference here in Chicago. I was singing in the choir and a young "kid" was playing piano for the prayer service. I was mesmerized by his fingers, seemingly effortless, as they flew around the keyboard. Real, raw talent here folks!

I am looking forward to a relatively quiet, sunny, and warm weekend here in Chicago. I am giving four talks on the RCIA to the clergy and laity of the Diocese of Metuchen in New Jersey next Tuesday and Wednesday. This is my last trip until the NPM convention in Pittsburgh in late July. Frankly, I am looking forward to an extended period without stepping on a plane.

I hope your weekend is a good ones. Keep your ears perked up for the prayers and the preface for the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ this weekend! Probably lots to talk about next week!

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: