Thursday, June 21, 2012

New Translation Thursday: The Great Divide

"New Translation Thursday" greetings from WLP's home office here in Franklin Park, Illinois.



Well, Tuesday's post and the ensuing comments suggest that there is a great divide among the followers of Gotta Sing Gotta Pray. It is hard to believe that people who love and serve the Church can be at such opposite poles on the issue of the new translation; either it is the greatest thing to happen to the liturgy in decades or it is the worst thing to happen.

I do agree that we need much more time with this new translation. And I must admit that I am paying so much closer attention to these prayers at Sunday Mass.

And I also must admit that, at times, the awkward and unfamilar structure pulls me in, spins me around, and shoots me out without a clue as to what was just prayed. And I also must admit that at times the prayers indeed are "meaty" and inspire me. My final "also must admit" for this post is that I honestly am feeling much more of the former than the latter. I need more time and experience with these texts.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

3 comments:

Alan Hommerding said...

This whole time of the new translation has (to my way of thinking) heightened two negative ways the surrounding culture has had an impact on us as a Church:
1) [Since I was at the Chicago Cubs v. Sox "crosstown cup" last night.] The unhealthy dimensions of the "team" mentality override the more important ways we ought to be unified. It's become more important for us to shout louder, longer, and more persistently for our "team" (like the translation v. dislike the translation) than to rejoice together in the Good News of salvation and work together to spread that same Good News.
2) We are being asked to and we are expecting to evaluate the new translation the same way we'd be asked to try a new flavor of toothpaste in a focus group or at the mall. We forget that one of the fruits of the Spirit at work in our lives is patience. As Jerry states, we need more time to adjust to and incorporate these prayers into our spiritual lives. That's why I keep returning to Galatians 5:22 to make sure my life and work in regard to the new translation is consistently characterized by those fruits of the Holy Spirit.

catholic traveller said...

Call me simple minded, that's fine. I try to be. I have yet to comprehend what the big deal is. Though I like the new translation, I had no problem with the old. I was glad to find our same musical arrangements updated with the new wording, this helped my 2 congregations to adjust more easily. I really think we're missing the point if we nitpick the wording and forget we're there for the Eucharist. To become one body with Christ, this is the goal, right?

David said...

Jerry, thank you for encouraging a respectful conversation among people of differing views about the new translation. I myself am not strongly in either 'team' or 'camp.' Some of the prayers I look at and find them beautiful; some leave me scratching my head and saying, "Really?"; some don't make a strong impression either way. So I find it difficult to take a position. If someone were to ask me either, "Do you like the new translation?" or "Do you dislike the new translation?", my answer would be, "Sometimes."