Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Saint Domnius

"New Translation Tuesday" greetings from Porec, Croatia. I am on the Istrian Peninsula for a few days of pilgrimage/sightseeing/relaxing. The drive up here yesterday from Split was breathtaking. Croatia is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited; a hidden gem. Lots of people from around Europe have discovered this amazing country; few people from the United States visit. Maybe that's a good thing!

Yesterday morning, before leaving Split, I walked to the area around Saint Domnius Cathedral to witness the procession of the relics of saint Domnius. The procession route looked like it was about 3/4 mile from the cathedral to the outdoor tent where Mass was to be celebrated. Let me take you through the procession.

Here is how it began:


The fragrance of the incense filled the air as the procession began.


The image of Saint Domnius (who was martyred during the reign of Diocletian) led the way.


Folks, this was a procession! It seemed that representatives from the entire city joined this procession. I am not sure if we even know what it means to process in the United States. For instance, we use terms like "go to communion" when we talk about Mass. Believe me, the next time I go to communion at Saint James, I will remember this procession in Split, Croatia. Here you go:



The Franciscans have a large presence in Split and throughout the places I have visited thus far:



I don't think I have seen this many habited nuns in quite some time:


Followed by the priests of the diocese:



Then the bishops and the bishop of the diocese:





And finally, the moment arrived for the procession of the holy relics. The silver casket, in the shape of the bust of Saint Domnius, carried the relics. It was carried in procession by a deacon. Here are a few photos I snapped as the procession continued:






Such a wonderful display of the Catholic faith of these Croatians. You know, I just happened to be in Split on the city's most festive day. I felt really blessed to have been there and sensed the deep faith of these Catholic people.


Saint Domnius, pray for us.

More tomorrow.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jerry thanks for the pictures I told my facebook people about them and gave them your blog hope thay can get to see them.