Tuesday, May 1, 2012

New Translation Tuesday: Moving the Sheep

"New Translation Tuesday" greetings to you all.

I found out recently that a man in our parish choir, who is a successful local actor, has been meeting with my pastor regularly, working with him on his "delivery" of prayers and homilies at Sunday Mass. This began out of this man's concern that my pastor was occasionally using an "outside voice" while preaching, possibly injuring his vocal cords.

Well, whatever has been happening in these sessions, as well as my own pastor's preparation of the newly translated texts, has really been working. There is some irony here. This particular choir member is not the biggest fan of the new translation, so this is pretty saintly work for him, which has resulted in much better liturgy for our parish.

This past Sunday, I was quite moved by the Collect at Mass:

Almighty ever-living God,
lead us to a share in the joys of heaven,
so that the humble flock may reach
where the brave Shepherd has gone before.
Who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.

This was prayed slowly and deliberately. I found this to be inspiring and beautiful in its simplicity.

I was listening quite attentively for the prayer after communion as well:
Look upon your flock, kind Shepherd,
and be pleased to settle in eternal pastures
the sheep you have redeemed
by the Precious Blood of your Son.
Who lives and reigns for ever and ever.
 
The construction still looks awkward to me, but to be honest, I am getting used to anticipating the meaning not being immediately apparent. Not sure I am putting this clearly, but when I heard my pastor pray "and be pleased to settle in eternal pastures," I waited to find out just who or what the "kind Shepherd" was going actually to settle in those eternal pastures. And, lo and behold, it was me; this sheep among other sheep!
 
 
 
Anyone else find Sunday's prayers particularly moving?
 
Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

4 comments:

Robert Noble said...

In reference to the Prayer after Communion: I thought Jesus was the (Good) Shepherd. Why in this prayer does "Shepherd" refer to God the Father? Otherwise, two very beautiful prayers.

Siobhan said...

I'm touched that a parishioner offered his expertise to your pastor and that your pastor was humble enough (and smart enough to arrange his calendar) to accept. What a great community you have.

tim said...

@Robert Noble: pls refer to Ezekiel chp 34 the entire chapter is dedicated to God the Father promising to shepherd his flock.
Psalm 23: David referred to God the Father as the Good Shepherd.
So it is Abba Father who is rightly referred to as the Shepherd along with the redemptive sacrifice of the Lamb of God.

Greetings, Peace.

tim said...

@Robert Noble: pls refer to Ezekiel chp 34 the entire chapter is dedicated to God the Father promising to shepherd his flock.
Psalm 23: David referred to God the Father as the Good Shepherd.
So it is Abba Father who is rightly referred to as the Shepherd along with the redemptive sacrifice of the Lamb of God.

Greetings, Peace.