Thursday, May 17, 2012

New Translation Thursday: Praise and Exalt him Above All Forever!

"New Translation Thursday" greetings from Garmisch-Partenkirchen, here in Bavaria. I am sitting here looking out the window at the snow covered mountains. Today, Ascension Thursday, is a national holiday here in Germany (as it is in most of Europe). It's also Father's Day here in Germany. I was told last night by one of the locals that yesterday was the day that people mark as the day that one may begin to plant flowers outdoors, kind of like what we in Chicago say about Mother's Day.

Well, this morning, we woke up to snow on the ground here in Bavaria, but the sun was shining brightly; took some early morning photos on my way to Mass with the Catholic Army Chaplains. First, the snow on the bushes:



Next, several shots of the mountains. This is the area where the Zugspitze is, the very top of Germany. I was awed by what I saw this morning.



Ascension Thursday, when our eyes turn to the mountain and to the skies, was made all the more striking by what I saw and was privileged to photograph:





We prayed morning prayer before Mass, with its Canticle of Daniel:
"Frost and chill, bless the Lord.
Ice and snow, bless the Lord . . .
Let the earth bless the Lord.
Praise and exalt him above all forever.
Mountains and hills, bless the Lord."
Those words were never more alive to me than they were this morning.It was as if all of creation was lifting its voice in blessing and praise.
After Mass, I took a few more photos:



This time, the clouds were beginning to enshroud the mountains.


Folks, I am filled with gratitude for the opportunity to be in such a breathtakingly beautiful place on this earth.

At Mass, this morning, for the first time since the advent of the new translation, I erred during the preface dialogue. Instead of "It is right and just," I said, "It is right to give God thanks and praise." Perhaps it was just a lapse in memory. But just maybe it was what my heart wanted to sing after beholding what I beheld this morning.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: