Tuesday, April 17, 2012

New Translation Tuesday: When the First Language Is Not English

"New Translation Tuesday" greetings from the home office here in Franklin Park, Illinois on a cool and crisp Spring morning.



This past weekend I attended Mass with my parents at their parish in the suburbs of Boston. The celebrant was of Hispanic descent and he did speak with an accent. He was extremely deliberate with the prayers from the Missal. Because of his deliberate approach, I found myself even more attentive to the newly translated words than I usually am. There were some phrases that I simply lost, due partly to his accent and partly to the awkward construction of the prayers.

My parents, who are well into their seventies, told me that they usually try to sit in a different location in their church to better hear this particular celebrant.

Since the advent of the new translation, this was my first experience of attending Mass with a celebrant whose first language is not English.

I was wondering what your own experience of this kind of situation has been. Feel free to share your comments by clicking the comments area below.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

2 comments:

jdonliturgy said...

One of our priests was born in Mexico - he and my "Anglo" pastor alternate who does English and Spanish Masses. While I can tell that Father practices, it is also evident that often he is not quite sure what the prayers are saying. He was doing very well with English Mass until we started the new Missal. Now, it is as if the "spark" is out of his delivery of the orations, and it is more word by word.

Jeff Rexhausen said...

And this is someone whose native tongue is more closely derived from the Latin that the new translation seeks to emulate.