Wednesday, April 4, 2012

My Hope

"Spy" Wednesday greetings from Chicago, where it is beautifully sunny, but a bit on the cool side.




After a Lenten Season marked by much travel and less-than-usual engagement in the liturgies of Lent on my part, I am looking forward greatly to the next four days.

I remember having this same sense of anticipation when I was a young kid of nine or ten. The liturgies of the Triduum fascinated me. I just couldn't believe my eyes, for instance, when Monsignor O'Neill actually lit a fire made of newspaper and a few popsicle sticks in the back of our church on Holy Saturday; this was inside the church. From there the Easter candle was lighted and processed. I can still hear the strains of the chanted Exsultet, sung by an enormously talented cantor.

As these days unfold, I hope that new texts will not be a hindrance to the simple beauty of the Paschal Mystery we proclaim in song, word, and gesture. My hope is that this celebration of the Triduum will connect me with my past, with those who have sung and prayed the Song before me. My hope is the same for you.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: