Friday, April 13, 2012

Gotta Sing Gotta Pray Celebrates Its Third Birthday with Great Moments in Boston

Friday greetings from the final day here at the National Catholic Education Association's annual convention here in Boston.

Today is Gotta Sing Gotta Pray's third birthday. Hard to believe that I have been blogging for three years! Thanks to all of you for faithfully following this blog.




Yesterday, the J.S. Paluch Company was priviliged to sponsor Fr. Ron Rolheiser as the main speaker at "Priest Day" here at the convention. Approximately sixty priests were in attendance, many from the Archdiocese of Boston; many men who influenced my own life as I grew up here. I moved away from Boston in 1984, nearly thirty years ago, so it was a kind of "fast-forward" moment yesterday. Seated next to me was my Old Testamanent professor from my first year in the seminary. It was sheer delight to catch up with him and some of the other priests in the room. And one of the first things that this Old Testament professor, now pastor here in the Archdicoese, said was "Gotta Sing Gotta Pray!" And everyone he introduced me to included the tag line, "Author of the blog Gotta Sing Gotta Pray." So my hat is off to you, Fr. Jack, for your kindness yesterday and your abundant kindness during those years back in the early 1980's. This is a good priest.

Last night, WLP also sponsored John Angotti and his band for a concert here at the Sheraton Boston. I am one of John's biggest fans. Every time I hear him speak and sing, I am moved. Last night was no different. John sang several pieces from his newest album, I Believe.


If you have never experienced John or have any of his recordings, I would suggest this one. It highlights his compositional style and his great vocal qualities. I have a few favorites already from this album, especially "There's a Presence."
Well, I need to get over to the convention center. Tonight, I will be connecting with my parents here in Boston, then spending the weekend with them, my sibs, and my nieces and nephews over the weekend. Boston is CRAZY this weekend: Boston Bruins won their first play-off game last night here; today is Opening Day at the 100 year-old Fenway Park (two blocks from my hotel); and Monday is the running of the Boston Marathon!

I hope that your weekend is a good one.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: