Monday, March 19, 2012

Remedy

Mystagogy Monday greetings.



Yesterday's Prayer Over the Offerings:

We place before you with joy these offerings,
which bring eternal remedy, O Lord,
praying that we may both faithfully revere them
and present them to you, as is fitting,
for the salvation of all the world.
Through Christ our Lord.

I know that this probably sticks to the original Latin quite faithfully, but I wondered if the addition of something after the word "remedy" might have helped. Something like "eternal remedy for our sinfulness" or "eternal remedy for the sings of the world" or "eternal remedy for our spiritual blindness" or something to that effect. When I heard the word "remedy," it just kind of stopped me in my tracks, and then I lost the rest of the prayer.

Anyone else have the same or different reaction to the prayer?

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the prayer that stopped me cold was the Prayer after Communion, which included the phrase "what is worthy and pleasing to your majesty." Now, I think I understand what the translators were trying to do, but how it's heard is an entirely different matter. It sounds like we are speaking to "your majesty." That's not language I ever hoped to hear in our liturgy!
- Mike Novak

Austin Fleming said...

I agree with Mike. While I found "remedy" an odd choice (too weak to bear what it intends), the way "your majesty" rings in an American ear was unsettling. That's not to deny the majesty of God but rather to comment on how a text is heard. I wonder if any priests edited the text to "that we may always ponder what is worthy and pleasing to you and love you in all sincerity."