Thursday, February 2, 2012

New Translation Thursday: "Don't Give Up on That"

"New Translation Thursday" greetings to all.

Here's a follow-up to my encounter with the woman I described in Tuesday's post.

This is what she said to me concerning the new translation:
She looked me squarely in the eyes and said, "Jerry, what am I supposed to do? I just don't feel inspired at Mass any more and I am afraid that I might drift away."

Well, I looked her squarely in the eyes and asked her if she felt that she still needed God to work transformation in her own life. Of course, she nodded, and then I said, "I know that God continues to work redemption in my own life and I find the Mass the primary source where I discover that redemption time and time again. Does God still want to work on you? If you believe this, and I know you do, you cannot drift away. God waits for you at Mass, even in a translation with which you struggle. Don't give up on that. I need to know that you are not drifting away, because my own life as a Catholic who shares many of your same struggles will be diminished if you drift away. I know in my heart that God wants to work a miracle of transformation in your life. Let's not give up."

Sounds kind of pious as I re-iterate what I said, but I believe this with all my heart.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: