Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday and Baptismal Character

Ash Wednesday greetings to one and all.



Woke up this morning in beautiful and warm Central Florida and now here I sit at my desk in Franklin Park, Illinois. Even with all the travel that I do, air travel still amazes me.

Lent has really come around fast this year, hasn't it? It will be a strange Lent for me at my parish, Saint James, again this year because we have no one preparing for Baptism. But I will still use this time to prepare myself for the biggest and most important ritual event of the year for me and all Catholics, I believe. And that's our annual renewal of baptism promises at Easter.

From the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy:
109. The season of Lent has a twofold character: primarily by recalling or preparing for baptism and by penance, it disposes the faithful, who more diligently hear the word of God and devote themselves to prayer, to celebrate the paschal mystery. This twofold character is to be brought into greater prominence both in the liturgy and by liturgical catechesis.
I spent lots of time talking about this at the pre-Lenten mission in Florida the past few days. If you have never tried really focusing your attention on the baptismal character of the season, why not do so this year? It will undoubtedbly make your renewal at Easter all the more meaningful.
Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: