Friday, January 27, 2012

Two "Giants" : Foley and Kelly

Friday greetings from the Southwest Liturgical Conference here in Dallas.

My apologies for not having posted yesterday; the day just ran away from me.

I have given two presentations here, entitled "Giving Voice to the Roman Missal." The talk is basically an exploration of the ways that we can apply the methodology outlined for mystagogical catechesis in Benedict XVI's Sacramentum Caritatis to the celebration of Mass. Our Church leaders have said that the advent of the new translation of The Roman Missal should signal a new era of liturgical catechesis, a catechesis that many feel was missing after the liturgical reforms of the Second Vatican Council were implemented. During the presentation I share my own experiences of mystagogical catechesis which I have learned over the years, chiefly through my own experiences with the catechumenate.

Fr. Columba Kelly, OSB, a monk of Saint Meinrad Archabbey in southern Indiana, attended my presentation yesterday.



Fr. Columba, as many of you know, is one of the "giants" in the field of chant. He and I had a spirited conversation about the chant in The Roman Missal, which will continue today when he visits us at the WLP booth on the exhibit floor here at the conference.

Certainly a high point for me here at the conference was the keynote address given by Fr. Edward Foley yesterday.



Ed was my faculty advisor and one of my professors when I earned the doctorate at Catholic Theological Union in Chicago during the 1990's. Ed was inspiring, challenging, even-toned, and honest as he talked about the challenges we face in "passing on the torch" of full participation to the next generations of "X-ers" and "Millennials." It was eye-opening and deeply challenging. Ed was honest about some of the less-then-transparent issues surrounding the development of the new translation. As he spoke, I thought once again about how much I appreciate and respect this man, another one of the "giants." Through his preaching, teaching, and presentations, he reveals a deeply faithful man with a capacity for critical thinking that is brilliant. I look forward to seeing this presentation in print in the future. Ed told me that this will happen in the next few months. I will keep you posted.

One more full day here at the conference, then it is home to Chicago tomorrow.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

2 comments:

Quilisma said...

It would be very interesting to hear Fr. Columba's take on the chants, and also the notation developed for it. Keep us posted!

Jeffrey Herbert said...

I had the opportunity to speak with Fr. Kelley at a CMAA event last year and was very inspired by his enthusiasm for the new chants...although he seems to maybe have preferred they use traditional notation if I recall. He is also a very helpful (and willing) resource for young persons interested in liturgical music, particularly chant!