Tuesday, January 31, 2012

New Translation Tuesday: How Would You Respond?

Welcome to this installment of "New Translation Tuesday."



At a conference I attended recently, a woman, who had been a diocesan director of Christian initiation, but now works in another field, asked me a question. She prefaced the question by telling me how disappointed she was with the entire process that led up to our new translation of the Missal, especially with the last-minute changes that were made to texts that our bishops had spent years discussing and honing.

She looked me squarely in the eyes and said, "Jerry, what am I supposed to do? I just don't feel inspired at Mass any more and I am afraid that I might drift away."

I had my own response to her, which I will share on Thursday. What would your pastoral and charitable response be?

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

4 comments:

Jeff Rexhausen said...

Search for beauty and truth.

For some people, they are easier to find in the old translation, and for others, they are easier to find in the new. But they are present in both.

Search for beauty and truth.

Each time you go to Mass, try to find one word or phrase or sentence through which God is telling you of the great love God has for you.

Search for beauty and truth.

If you cannot find it in the words, look for it in the gestures and the music. Look for it in the faces of the brothers and sisters with whom you are praying.

Search for beauty and truth.

This search will lead you to look at your own heart and ask God, “How are you calling me to change, to follow you more closely?”

Have faith, have hope, and search for beauty and truth.

FJH 3rd said...

I agree with Jeff's plea to search for beauty and truth. A few years back when I was a bit disconcerted over the state of the liturgy at my parish, I went to an Extraordinary form Mass for the first time since the post-conciliar reform, and there I found beauty and truth. Now, I still most frequently (daily) attend the Ordinary Form. But my exposure to the EF in recent years has helped deepen my appreciation for the Mass, in either form.

All i can suggest is try the EF a few times, and see if it doesn't help re-set your liturgical bearings.

Thesy said...

I agree with both of you. However, why should Catholics be cheated out of beauty and truth because they assist at Mass in the OF. It is my hope that the EF will challenge the OF to become beauty, truth and reverent. It is not the OF per se that is the problem but the way we celebrate it and the many, too many, liberties we take with it. Oh, that today we hear His voice!!!

Paul said...

The sad reality is people are tuning out. I know it's true, because I've had members of my choir say, I just don't listen, because it's "too hard".