Thursday, January 12, 2012

New Translation Thursday Greetings from New Orleans

"New Translation Thursday" greetings from New Orleans. I am here for the Johannes Hofinger Conference, delivering the opening keynote address tomorrow morning. Here is the setting, the Pontchartrain Center:



This is my first major Catholic conference since the advent of the new translation of The Roman Missal. One thing that has been on my mind is the fact that there are many, many musical settings of the Mass being implemented all over the country. I wondered if, at gatherings like this one, the local music committee would perhaps choose the chant setting from the Missal as the common setting. That is not happening at this conference. I plan to talk with the organizers about the reasons behind their decision.

As the Catholic conference and convention season begins to unfold, I will be paying close attention to the approach to Mass settings and will surely report to you as we go along.

Please pray for many hundreds gathered from all over the southeast and gulf states gathered here for the Hofinger conference.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

3 comments:

Robert Pedesco said...

Jerry: I will be at the conference and plan to attend your keynote address. You may not be able to post on Friday, since you will be a special guest of the Archdiocese of New Orleans, La. While you are here, do as visitors from all over the country and the world do, see St.Louis Cathedral. It is New Orleans most famous landmark, and the most famous church in all of North and South America,(and I may add, a World Library customer, bulletins and missalettes). Robert Pedesco

Jerry Galipeau, D. Min. said...

Thank you, Robert. Be sure to stop by and say hello.
Jerry

Anonymous said...

Jerry,
There are quite a few outstanding new mass settings. I strongly prefer these being used over the chant settings.

I have been pleased about places not using the chant settings. As someone who has a strong preference for "contemporary" style liturgy, one of my fears regarding the new translation was that it would make mass feel more "old fashioned." I have appreciated the way that with many of the new settings, mass can still have a "contemporary" feel. My concern is that if the chant settings were used as a default setting, fewer masses would have a "contemporary" feel.

Additionally, for instances where there is a special mass, I feel that using a vibrant mass setting can help increase the event's energy. I find this preferable to the use of chant settings.