Monday, January 30, 2012

Mystagogy Monday: Mass of Saint Ann and a Long Preface

"Mystagogy Monday" greetings to all. Gosh, it feels great to be home here in Chicago for awhile.



The Southwest Liturgical Conference last week in Dallas was a great experience for me and it seems that the participants got a lot out of it as well.

Planning has begun for next year's conference, to be held in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The emerging theme is focused on mystagogical/liturgical catechesis. I will be playing a role as a "mystagog" during the conference. The planners have some great ideas for the conference, which will include several liturgical catechesis "process" pieces. I will keep you posted.

Yesterday, I attended Mass at my parish, St. James, here in Chicago. The last time I was there was at Epiphany. The people seem to be getting accustomed to the new translation. It was great to be singing Ed Bolduc's Mass of Saint Ann. The music director added the Gospel Acclamation from that Mass and I found it strong and stirring. The pastor has begun using the newly composed chant for the Preface, which the monks from his Archabbey (most notably Fr. Columba Kelly, OSB) have made available. He is so much more comfortable with these "Saint Meinrad" tones. The preface he used had a sentence in it that had to be ten lines long; I got lost, even though he chanted it beautifully. Maybe I need to have a copy in front of me, just to comprehend it.

Well, lots and lots to do here as I begin to settle in to a long stretch of time here at WLP and JSP.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

1 comment:

Geoff said...

I got stuck at the Opening Prayer yesterday: "Grant us, Lord our God, that we may honor you with all our mind and love everyone in truth of heart." I looked at the missalette to see if I had missed a word. I don't question the sentiment or the prayer, only the awful English translation...grant us what?