Thursday, November 17, 2011

New Translation Thursday: Mystagogy Mondays

Welcome to this installment of "New Translation Thursday."




Some of you might be wondering what the future holds for these new translation posts on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I have had conversations about this with my colleagues at WLP and we have come up with a proposal. I am thinking about introducing "Mystagogy Mondays." Every time I say that title out loud, I think about the Bangles hit song, Manic Monday. Here's the refrain:

It's just another manic Monday
I wish it was Sunday
'Cause that's my funday
My I don't have to runday
It's just another manic Monday

I do like the idea of a manic mystagogy Monday. For those of you who visit Gotta Sing Gotta Pray generally on Tuesdays and Thursdays, you might want to consider visiting on "Mystagogy Mondays" after the First Sunday of Advent.
 
"Mystagogy Mondays" will give all of us a forum to share our insights, wonders, disappointments, and joys that we have discovered as we pray and sing the new translation of The Roman Missal, Third Edition. I will offer my own commentary, of course, and invite you to join the conversation.
 
I am inspired here by a section from Bl. John Paul II's apostolic letter, Mane Nobiscum Domine:
 
"The best way to enter into the mystery of salvation made present in the sacred 'signs' remains that of following faithfully the unfolding of the liturgical year. Pastors should be committed to that 'mystagogical' catechesis so dear to the Fathers of the Church, by which the faithful are helped to understand the meaning of the liturgy's words and actions, to pass from its signs to the mystery which they contain, and to enter into that mystery in every aspect of their lives."
 
So, my hope here is that "Mystagogy Mondays" will give us all the opportunity to reflect on "the meaning of the liturgy's words and actions" as they are ensconced in a new English translation. I hope you are willing to join in this new conversation.
 
Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: