Sunday, November 27, 2011

New Translation Sunday: This Is It

Good Sunday morning to all.

It is very early here in Chicago. Yesterday, I arrived back here in Chicago after a wonderful New England weekend with my family. Lobster Rolls, Linguica Pizza, Pasta in the North End, traditional French-Canadian style Thanksgiving Dinner; what a culinary excursion!

Yesterday afternoon, several of us set up the Advent environment at Saint James. Very simple. For those new to the blog, my parish, Saint James, is on the near south side of Chicago. The over 150 year-old church building was shuttered a few years ago because of questions about the integrity of its structure. So, we have been worshipping in our Catholic school auditorium ever since. It's a tough place to decorate. Despite its architectural beauty, the windows are filthy, there is built-up grime in many places, the paint is peeling, there are gym mats hanging on some areas (the building was used as a gym for P.E. classes). Despite all of this, worship in this less-than-ideal space is wonderful. God, who calls this Catholic people together in this place, makes it all very holy. God's voice echoes throughout the space as we lift up our hearts and voices in thanksgiving and praise. The hands and feet of Christ are hard at work as the parish's food pantry serves somewhere between 1500 and 1700 families per month. And the Holy Spirit infuses a genuine sense of hospitality throughout the place. We are not a sterling assortment of Catholics. We just all come there to be fed and to feed.

In a few hours I will be in the second row (in my usual spot) for the 9:30 Mass. I will have my nose in the worship aid for most of the Mass. Newly translated words will begin to take root in my Catholic heart and voice. I have been preparing myself, the parishioners whom I love, and thousands of others across the United States for the past five years for this particular moment. I know I will cringe this morning when the prayer after communion is prayed; it's just a wrong translation. I know I will stumble on phrases that are unfamiliar. I know that I will feel a sense of loss for what has been familiar for most of my life. My hope is that these newly translated words will translate into a renewed effort at Saint James to take care of God's least ones.

When I look back at some of my Catholic experiences, I do gain some perspective. In the early 1980's, while still a seminarian, I traveled to Peru for a third world immersion experience. I remember going to Mass in a very crude "building." There was no flooring material; just dirt. There were crude benches upon which we sat. There was a locally crafted crucifix that emphasized the suffering of Christ to an extraordinary degree. And then there were the people; poorer than poor. Their smiles, their joy, their pain, and their sorrow are forever etched into my heart's memory. They had nothing. And they had everything. They owned nothing. And they owned more than I could ever attain.

Folks, as the new translation of The Roman Missal, Third Edition, begins to take root, let's not forget what we heard in Matthew's Gospel a few weeks ago about these "least ones." If you have never made the connection between Sunday Mass and Catholic action, take this time of transition to make that connection. Let's not "just sit there" and analyze newly translated words. Let's seize this opportunity to do what Catholics do: "Go in peace, glorifying the Lord by your life."

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jerry--

Is there a way I can email you something privately. Noticed something in Seasonal Missalette that I want to ask you about.

Mike K

Jerry Galipeau, D. Min. said...

Sure Mike. galipeauj@jspaluch.com

Anonymous said...

To my surprise, using the new text wasn't the "worse" thing to happen. However, I do believe it is to early to make any assessment. I listened attentively as I normally do and there were definitely a couple of times when I said to myself, "I didn't understand a word he said". I always look forward to celebrating Advent at my church so most of my focus was on the beauty of Advent then the language itself (I surprised myself with this observation!). We all stumbled at times, and even with the cards, I sometimes used previous responses. A great job by our pastor and presider who presided at the mass - it was apparent he prepared as he prayed the texts.

FJH 3rd said...

I had grown a bit anxious the last few weeks, concerned that our parish had not done enough to prepare us for the change. Oh me of little faith! Yesterday’s 8 am Mass was lovely. It seemed the congregation was very much in sync on the new texts, responding confidently and with more volume than usual. The other thing I noticed was that during the priest’s prayers, especially the Roman Canon, the folks in the pews were much more quiet. There didn’t seem to be the usual rustling around. Our young parochial vicar delivered a fine homily explaining the reasons for the new translation. He even instituted some new actions for the servers: candle bearers at the Gospel proclamation, and also at each station for the distribution of holy communion. I had never seen that at a Novus Ordo, and what an reverent impression it makes!

It was very evident that he had prepared well, as I heard no stumbles over the supposedly un-proclaim-able orations. It was a wonderful launch for the new translation. We have much for which to be thankful in the English-speaking church!