Monday, October 17, 2011

Piano and Flute Concert this Weekend in Fairfield

Mondaty greetings.

Yesterday, I attended my parish's town hall meeting regarding the new translation, then gave two presentations at another parish here in the Archdiocese of Chicago. More on that in tomorrow's post.

This week I will travel to Augusta, Georgia for a presentation on the new translation. Then on Friday I leave for Fairfield, Connecticut for a new translation presentation on Saturday morning. On Sunday evening, my musical "soul-mate" Denise La Giglia and I will be giving a concert (piano and flute) at Saint Anthony of Padua Church in Fairfield. Concertizing is not something that I do very often. Denise and I have recorded two albums together, Window to Peace


and Holy Light.



Denise and I improvise on hymn tunes, songs, and chant. It's all very free-flowing and each of us really enters into the prayer as the piece unfolds, differently each time.

One of the things we do at our concerts is invite a member of the audience to share a short story or vignette from his or her life. Then Denise and I do a free improvisation, trying to paint the story musically.

I am looking forward to the concert (and the hours of practice and preparation this week!) But this really feeds my soul and these days I could use a little sustenance.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: