Friday, October 28, 2011

Confessions of a New Alto

Friday greetings from chilly Chicago. At least it's not snowing here as it has been on the East Coast. Bundle up!



For those of you who read my post last week, the one about my sister joining her parish choir, you might be interested to read this follow-up, which I received this morning. I am including it here, especially for those of you who are choir directors:

"I thought I would update you on what's happening with me and my choir worries. It is going better. Tonight was my third practice. I'm an Alto now. If that's what you want to call it. I'm still having problems reaching high notes. At practice I sit next to Yvonne (the organist / pianist). She sings alto and has been helping me along. (Thank God!!) We have been working on "Sing Out Your Praise". What a pretty song. Tough to sing but we are getting there. We also are working on "Prayer of Saint Richard of Chichester". Reminds me of Godspell. My younger days are coming back. I'm not as frustrated. I'm not saying it's getting easy because it's a lot of work. Oh well, I will hang in there. I have a new found respect for Choir members and directors."

Well, there you have it. (Thanks, Janet, for giving me some subject matter for the blog!) So often as music and liturgy directors we rarely get the "other side of the story." It's been fun to listen to my sister's experience.

I have no talks, presentations, or workshops this weekend; the first time in a very long time. Hoping to enjoy a lovely autumn weekend here in Chicago. I hope that your weekend is a good one as well.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: