Monday, October 10, 2011

Chicago Marathon and Singing the New Translation

Columbus Day greetings to all; a work day here at WLP.

Yesterday the Chicago Marathon wound its way through my neighborhood. It was a beautiful day here in Chicago. A few photos; was glad to be there to see the pack of leaders.





One of these men won the marathon in record time.




I had not been to Mass at my own parish in a number of weeks, since I have been traveling so much. They have been singing the new translation of the Gloria for several weeks. Yesterday was my first chance to sing the new translation in my parish. Our music director chose Ed Bolduc's Mass of Saint Ann (published by WLP). The people sang it like they have been singing it for years. On the final refrain, the keyboard cuts out and it works so beautifully. Listen to it here.

After Mass, we had a very large group of parishioners remain for a presentation I was giving on the new translation. Many were liturgical ministers or choir members. There was also a nice contingent from the parish's Knights and Ladies of Peter Claver. I would say that about a fourth of the parish was present. I will report on the meeting in tomorrow's "New Translation Tuesday" post.

If you have the day off today, I hope it is a good day for you.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Of the new settings, Bolduc's Mass of Saint Ann is one of my favorites. While I am going to miss the old translation, using a vibrant setting like this will make it easier for many parishes to adjust. I am glad that your parish made such a fine choice regarding this.