Tuesday, September 13, 2011

New Translation Tuesday: Deciding Not To Prepare

Welcome to yet another edition of "New Translation Tuesday."



One of the faithful followers of this blog, a woman from an English-speaking parish in a European country, has been e-mailing me in the past few weeks, describing the process that is unfolding in her parish. I forwarded some of my Powerpoint presentations about the new translation; she was hoping to be able to use some of this material in their parish catechesis.

This morning, I received an e-mail from her. (I have edited this):

Hi Jerry,


We have returned from the Parish Council Meeting and I just feel like crying. Our priest does not want to buy the New Roman Missal with the new translation. He just wants to see 'if it is really necessary'. . .  He wants to please people and does not even want to do anything to prepare the congregation before we start using the missalettes on the 1st Sunday of Advent. He had such an attitude that I did not even dare to offer to give a presentation using what you had shared with me. Several members said that it wasn't a problem to buy the new missal, that it was important because it's for the Eucharistic Celebration, but he insisted not to. I feel so down.

This is the first time I have heard something like this first-hand. It left me wondering what this priest plans to use on the First Sunday of Advent. The current Sacramentary? The missalette?

Have any of you had this kind of experience?

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

7 comments:

ntwrk80 said...

Unfortunately my Pastor is similarly dragging his feet on the new translation. While we're starting the new music Mass parts this weekend, the only education for the congregation has been from the Diocese news paper.

Becky said...

Thankfully, my Pastor has been wonderful with the upcoming changes. He and I are working together to help him learn to sing (to find his one good note, though I know he has many, he's just not confident about his singing!), I presented a homily based on one of your presentations (Thanks Jerry!) over labor day weekend to offer our parishioners a little insight about the Roman Missal, we started introducing new music last weekend (and are using pew cards to help them along), and so far, things are running smoothly. The morale is high, and I'm still getting loads of compliments and thank you's for providing people with "interesting and useful" information!

Unfortunately though, in our diocese, this is not the norm. Too many parishes are choosing not to do anything, or very little. Most of the education is happening just as blurbs in the bulletin or optional forums where the same 15 people show up. From what I gather, most of the people have stopped reading our bulletin inserts because they are, "too wordy" or there are "too many" and the others don't even know that they are there because they don't go to church!

Anonymous said...

I am curious about how many "hold-out" parishes that there will be. I recall being told (I was not born at the time) that it took some parishes many years to implement changes from Vatican II and it would not surprise me if some parishes do not instantly begin using the Third Edition of the Roman Missal.

Anonymous said...

The current Sacramentary and the new missalette. I suppose the Sacramentary for his words and the missalette for that of the people.

Anonymous said...

The current Sacramentary and the missalette, probably the first one for his words and the second one for that of the congregation.

Anonymous said...

Hmm...ntwrk80 and I could be from the same parish. Our pastor has not said word one to the PIP and there has been nothing in our bulletin. The music ministry will begin teaching the chants to the folks in the next few weeks, so I guess he expects us to break the news to the parish...

Annika in NH

John Black said...

There is a pastor of a neighboring parish who has also decreed that nothing be mentioned about the upcoming changes. I am disappointed to hear such accounts. The church appears to spend great energy coordinating guidelines for business practices, but focus on the spiritual development of parishes is non-existent. The autonomy of pastors seems incredibly outdated. I don't have the answers, but any lack of unity in the church seems rooted at the parish level.

While some priests, like Becky's pastor, are embracing the changes and working hard to better serve the faithful, that doesn't seem to be the norm. I cannot understand why Roman Missal workshops for clergy are not overflowing. The apathy is discouraging. Why are the men most responsible for our spiritual development not called to the equivalent of continuing education in equally-important secular professions?

And why are so many priests apathetic toward self-improvement to better serve God's people?