Thursday, September 29, 2011

New Translation Thursday: Worthily and Well

"New Translation Thursday" has arrived.



By the time "New Translation Tuesday" rolls around, many of you will have received your copies of the newly translated Roman Missal, Third Edition. Since we here at WLP are publishing two editions (value and deluxe), I have had the privilege of having the missal here on my desk for a few weeks now. During the day, when I find a little time (which is rare!) to thumb through the Missal, I find myself stopping and praying certain prayers and other texts. This morning, I discovered the new translation of the moment when the deacon asks for the celebrant's blessing before the deacon proclaims the Gospel.

Our current translation:

"The Lord be on your heart and on your lips that you may worthily proclaim his gospel. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, + and of the Holy Spirit."

The new translation:

"May the Lord be in your heart and on your lips, that you may proclaim his Gospel worthily and well, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, + and of the Holy Spirit."

Most of us will never hear these words, because the rubric says that the priest says this "in a low voice." I was struck by the addition of the words "and well" to this blessing. It seems like all who proclaim the word of God might re-work this blessing and use it as a personal prayer of preparation for proclamation (way too many words beginning with "p" with that one!). Perhaps something like,

"O Lord, be in my heart and on my lips that I may proclaim your word worthily and well."

As you begin examining the texts in the newly translated Missal, please feel free to share your thoughts and comments here at Gotta Sing Gotta Pray.

I am leaving for vacation tomorrow and hope to be able to post here while away.

Please pray for the safety of all travelers.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

2 comments:

FJH 3rd said...

I'm reminded of the 5Ps of speaking:

Proper preparation prevents poor presentation.

You can make it 6Ps by adding a somewhat vulgar p-word as an adjective modifying poor.

Thesy said...

Great thought or you could says:

Proper preparation prevents poor proclamation!