Monday, September 12, 2011

Boston, Lafayette, and the Arrival of the Roman Missal

Monday greetings to all.

The past several days have been quite busy. The two RCIA workshops in Boston on Thursday went quite well. To be honest with you, it was refreshing and exhilarating not to be talking about the new translation of The Roman Missal for a change. Initiation is a real passion of mine and this was a wonderful opportunity to get people charged up about their own approaches to initiation. And, of course, it was great to be in Boston. The staff of the Office of Religious Education (Susan and Susan) are two of the most hospitable people on the planet. The new pastoral center in the Archdiocese is state of the art. When I introduced myself, I told those in attendance that as a native Bostonian, I had watched the archdiocese closely (albeit from afar) these past many years during the unfolding clergy sexual abuse crisis and the moves toward closing and consolidating parishes. I said that any attempt at evangelization in these next few years that didn't place the RCIA as part of its central action would mean that the evangelization efforts, by and large, were probably doomed. Even in the midst of all that has unfolded in Boston, we know that we still have the Good News to share. I firmly believe that, although it may take generations, the Archdiocese of Boston will emerge stronger and wiser.

After flight delay after flight delay on Friday, I did manage to get back to Chicago, where I re-packed and headed to the Diocese of Lafayette in Indiana. Julie, the director of the Office for Worship and RCIA (another one of those incredibly hospitable people) had invited me to present a keynote on "The New Missal and the Bible: Reconnecting to Scripture." I also presented a WLP music reading session. The day went well. The people had good questions and they really dug into the topic.

I received an e-mail on Friday about a momentous event here at the home office in Franklin Park. Some of you may have seen this news on WLP's Facebook page.

On Friday, our shipment of Roman Missals arrived. Of course, we cannot ship them until later in the month, with an October 1 delivery date. Here are some photos I took this morning.




Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: