Tuesday, August 23, 2011

New Translation Tuesday: Let the Ride Begin

Welcome to this installment of "New Translation Tuesday."

For many parishes across the country, this coming Sunday will be the final Sunday that the current translation of the Gloria, Sanctus, and Memorial Acclamations will be sung. Here in the Archdiocese of Chicago, parishes may begin singing the new translation on Sunday, September 3.

In my own parish, our music director has decided to delay the early implementaion. The choir has been on its summer hiatus; many still sing as a group on Sundays, but they have not had rehearsal for several weeks. Once they re-group, they will be learning the Mass of Saint Ann by Ed Bolduc. Dan, our music director, felt it was essential that the choir know the new setting very well before beginning to teach it to the congregation. I think this is wise.

I, for one, am looking forward to singing the new translation. And I am also looking forward to seeing and hearing people's reactions at my parish. What I am perhaps less excited about is the implementation of the rest of the Missal. I think it's going to be tough going for many priests and bishops, at least in the first several months. Praying new words is one thing. Praying in a new English language, a "sacral vernacular" as Liturgiam Authenticam puts it, is quite another. Put on your seat belts, folks, the ride is about to begin.

Which of the following images best describes how you envision the "ride" to be?
















Sometimes we need a little injection of humor.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

All seven reactions will probably occur in my parish. Thanks - you made me laugh!

Doug Peltak said...

Jerry
We've had years of the roller coaster experience here in Boston following the abuse crisis and reconfiguration so for me the dizziness of the tilt-a-whirl best expresses my reation to how the "ride" might be.Humor is important for if we don't laugh we will surely cry. Hope to see you on Sept. 8th.

Olga said...

We have started with the revised Mass of Joy. Yesterday we introduced the Gospel Acclamation, then the Lamb of God in October, the Holy in November, and the Gloria for Christmas Day.

I thought we were supposed to leave the new Mass Settings, at least the parts that really changed, for after the 1st Sunday of Advent. Have I understood wrong?

We are also looking forward to use the Mass of St. Ann, but will use it for feast days. Meanwhile, we want to start with something 'easier' for everyone in the congregation.

Jerry Galipeau, D. Min. said...

Hello Olga,
Thanks for following the blog. Some diocesan bishops are allowing the early implementation of some parts of the new missal: the sung Gloria, Sanctus, and Memorial Acclamations. Some dioceses are beginning these in September. Check with your diocesan office of worship or the bishop's office to see what your diocese has decided.
Jerry

Olga said...

Well, we are sort of an 'independent' parish. We are an English speaking parish in Belgium, so we aren't really under the USA or the UK. Anyway, I am glad to know that my husband and I did not do wrong by slowly introducing the new Mass Settings :-)