Friday, August 5, 2011

Deacons and the Roman Missal

Friday greetings.

In a few minutes I will be heading to the Archdiocese of Dubuque, Iowa.



Tomorrow is the deacon formation day, focused on the new translation. The formation day will take place at Saint Gabriel Church in Reinbeck, Iowa, pictured here:


Mapquest tells me that it is an approximate five hour and fifteen minute drive out there today, then the same back tomorrow. I am taking along the audio book The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle.

This will be the first series of presentations I give on the new translation where permanent deacons will make up the majority of participants. I will speak with them about the chants; we will practice the chants for the dialogue before the Gospel, the accouncement of the Gospel and the conclusion of the Gospel, as well as the various dismissals set to chant. Have you begun practicing these dismissals? Once I start them, I just can't get them out of my head. When I first saw them in the Missal, I thought they would never fly in a parish, but the more I sing them, especially the first three, the more I think they will really work well in the parish.



Sorry for the fuzziness.

So, I am looking forward to working with these deacons and the others who are registered for the day; not looking forward to the long drives. Hundreds of miles of corn and soybeans; this is a real part of the United States; I am hoping to pick up some great midwestern corn on my way back tomorrow. Mmmmm.

Please pray for the safety of all travelers.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

2 comments:

Chironomo said...

I recall my days in Illinois and the "miles and miles of corn"...however in the case of Illinois, most of it isn't "people corn" but "cattle corn" (Not to be confused with "Kettle Corn", which is excellent).

Like driving through Kansas on I-70, there is no such thing as a landmark...it all looks pretty much the same.

Becky said...

Stop in Dyersville, visit the Basilica, enjoy lunch at a little cafe on Main St. called Groovy Grounds. Safe travels!