Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A Chicago Cathedral Day

"O, what a beautiful morning" here in Chicago. My view while waiting for my train this morning at the elevated train station on the Green Line at the Clinton stop:


If you look closely enough, you can see the protruding windows near the top of the Willis (Sears) tower. Too scary for me. Here's what I mean:


I don't think so!

This afternoon I will be attending the episcopal ordination of Chicago's two new auxiliary bishops, the Most Reverend Andrew Peter Wypych and the Most Reverend Alberto Rojas. I haven't been to an episcopal ordination since the early 1980's. When I was a seminarian in Boston, I played the organ at all the major events at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross, pictured here:


Many hours were spent on the organ bench in this beautiful cathedral, playing at diaconate ordinations, priesthood ordinations, episcopal ordinations, funerals of bishops, the funeral of Humberto Cardinal Medeiros, and other Archdiocesan celebrations. One of the high musical points in my life was sitting on the organ bench just a few miles away from Holy Cross cathedral on the evening of October 1, 1979.



The following morning, before flying to New York to speak to the United Nations, Bl. Pope John Paul II walked across the lawn at the seminary to bid farewell to those of us who were gathered there to watch his helicopter take off. This photo was taken by a journalist standing next to me:





He was looking at us and telling us that he hoped someday to return to Boston. This particular photo was then doctored up a bit and turned into this famous portrait:




Anyway, a little Galipeau nostalgia for you today.

Today's episcopal ordinations will take place at Chicago's Holy Name Cathedral. When I arrived here in Chicago back in the early 1990's, I was anxious to see Holy Name and, after having grown up in Boston and after having visited some of our nations cathedrals, was quite surprised at how small Holy Name seems. Here are some photos of Holy Name Cathedral here in Chicago.







Hope you enjoyed today's cathedral and papal travelogue. I'll keep all of you in prayer today during the afternoon at Holy Name.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: