Monday, June 20, 2011

Introducing a New Mass Setting at My Parish

Monday greetings to all. It's a stormy morning here in Chicago. Here are a few photos I snapped while waiting for my train in downtown Chicago a few hours ago.






With all this rain lately, Chicago is looking quite lush and tropical.

At Mass yesterday at my parish, Saint James, I found that our music director had the following to say on his usual page in the bulletin.


GLORY TO GOD: Ed Bolduc
link to audio file:

I’d like to introduce the new Glory to God to you and invite you to go online and listen to it. Several weeks from now, we will begin to rehearse this before mass. Shortly thereafter, we will begin to sing it during mass. It would be pretty hectic to introduce several new mass parts all at once, so this will give us a headstart at familiarizing ourselves with the melodies and motives that Mr. Bolduc has so brilliantly composed.

Picking-up this melody should be a snap for most of you, but to help you, I have included the music below. Perhaps you can listen at the computer while reading the music, since I have also included the link above to the audio file. Enjoy your listening…call it a homework assignment from your friendly musical director!

The melody line is the top note throughout.
 


The bulletin article also contained the music and text for the refrain of the Gloria. I am looking forward to seeing if anyone is talking about this at Mass next Sunday; just curious to see if anyone actually listened to the recording.
 
At tonight's liturgy committee meeting at Saint James, I will be giving a presentation on the history of the new translation; a "how did we get where we are" workshop. The circle is growing ever wider at Saint James.
 
Before Mass yesterday, a man from the choir came to me to tell me how upset he is about the new translation. He told me that he just doesn't agree with the rationale behind the new translation. I told him that he will be given plenty of information in the coming months at various parish meetings. He walked away still angry, but at least I hope that he felt that he was heard.
 
I'll let you know tomorrow how tonight's meeting went.
 
Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope that the music director does not start using the new Gloria before its use is authorized. It should definitely not be used during mass prior to the start of September.s