Tuesday, May 31, 2011

New Translation Tuesday: Rest in Peace, Rev. Lawrence Madden, SJ

A very sad beginning to this Tuesday morning. Received word that Rev. Lawrence Madden, SJ, the founder of the Georgetown Center for Liturgy, has died. Larry was an energetic advocate for the reform of the liturgy and was one of my real heroes. Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him.

In a rare Sunday post, I mentioned that my pastor seems to be taking a new approach to the celebrant's prayers at Mass. He prayed the Opening Prayer and the Prayer after Communion very slowly and deliberately.  Austin Fleming made this comment when he read the post: "Also a very good way to pray the current texts which, when prayed reverently and carefully, are very often very fine prayers."

I am gearing up for the clergy convocation for the Diocese of Davenport next week. This convocation will include some very practical elements. Fr. Paul Colloton of NPM and I will be helping those in attendance practice the newly translated texts. The more I see of these texts, the more I am convinced that "slow and deliberate" will be the way to go. And this is a good thing. I am greatly looking forward to this time with the clergy in Davenport. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: