Thursday, May 5, 2011

New Translation Thursday: One More Installment from Bavaria

"New Translation Thursday" greetings from Ettal, Germany. I had a chance to speak with some of the miltary chaplains who are on retreat here this week regarding the new translation. They are, like most priests, looking for resources to help them implement the changes. Their ministry can be quite different from the parish priest; many of them are deployed in war zones and the new translation is often the farthest things from their minds; helps put things in perspective for me. these fine priests are providing ministry to soldiers and their families; people who are often in a great amount of distress. Please keep these men in your prayers.

Here is a photo I took today of the exterior of the Benedictine Abbey here in Ettal. Today is actually the anniversary of the founding of the Abbey.


And here is a photo of the organ I played yesterday and will play again for the closing retreat Mass tomorrow morning.


The organ basically sits in a little niche off of the choir area. Believe it or not, I was trying to sing verses of the communion song from that organ bench into this space:


I couldn't resist sharing a few photos I took of the sacristy, where the priest and ministers of the liturgy vest and prepare for Mass:




I have greatly enjoyed being the music minister here in this beautiful place all week. Please enjoy some additional photos I took while doing some sightseeing over the past few days. First, King Ludwig II's Neuschwanstein Castle:


And Saint James Cathedral in Innsbruck (as you know, Saint James is my home parish in Chicago):


Here are a few photos of the interior of Saint James in Innsbruck:




Finally, a few photos of some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen. So much to be thankful for.






The monks of Ettal brew some very fine beer and liqueurs.

Thanks for browsing through my "vacation slide show."

I hope your Easter Season is unfolding with joy and grace.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: