Thursday, March 3, 2011

New Translation Thursday: Great Day in New York, Re-engraving, and Personal Preparation for the Implementation

Welcome to this groggy blogger's edition of "New Translation Thursday." After arriving at La Guardia in New York yesterday afternoon for my 6:00 flight, the delays began. We didn't take off until well after 11:00 P.M. Ah, the joys of travel.

I had a wonderful day yesterday with pastoral leaders from the Archdiocese of New York. This pre-Lenten day of reflection gave everyone (including me) an opportunity to approach the upcoming Lenten Season in a mystagogical way. I hope our reflections on Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist will help us all prepare for the holy season.

I am getting ready to leave tomorrow for my "home town," Boston, Massachusetts. Actually, I have lived away from Massachusetts now longer than I lived there. It will be good to return and speak with musicians and parish leaders about the upcoming new translation of The Roman Missal.

We are hard at work here at World Library Publications on our editions of the Missal, as well as our musical and pastoral resources related to the new translation.

For the two editions (Value Edition and Deluxe Edition) we are publishing, one thing that we decided to do was to re-engrave all of the chants in the Missal. After looking at the way the chants had been engraved in the files we received, we felt strongly that, as a Catholic music company, we could use the talents of our award winning music engravers to re-set the chants. This has been a tedious process, utilizing the finest engravers and editors. I believe these efforts will result in settings that will facilitate ease of reading and chanting the newly translated texts for bishops and priests. You can see sample pages, including the full-color art and the re-engraved chants here. I can't tell you how proud I am of the work and talent of the editors, engravers, and designers who have worked so hard and meticulously on the chants.



Yesterday, at the Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers Building in Ossining New York (pictured above), where the day of reflection was held, it was wonderful to see people examine and purchase their own individual copies of WLP's Order of Mass booklets. For many in attendance, this was their first look at the newly translated texts. People told me that they were purchasing these in order to begin their own spiritual preparation in advance of the reception and implementaion of the new translation.






A little commercial here, if you don't mind. These Order of Mass booklets contain the Order of Mass, as well as the Missal chants for the Mass, and Steven Janco's fine acclamations from the revised Mass of Redemption. There are two cover designs, one with a contemporary feel, and one with a more traditional feel. The four eucharistic prayers are included. I, for one, will need to follow along, at least for the first several months, perhaps a year or so, as these prayers are proclaimed at Mass. Go to our web site and click "view sample pages" to take a look for yourself. Once you view the pages, remember that they are not in sequential order, but rather skip around to give you a sense of the entire booklet.

Thanks for allowing me to share these resources with you today. I think it is helpful for people to know what the publishers are doing. When I think about WLP's mission to serve the needs of the singing, praying, and initiating Church, I feel that all the work that we have done for you will help us all in the implementation of the new translation.

Please pray for the safety of all travelers.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

3 comments:

Alan Hommerding said...

I told the group from the NPM chapter in Dallas (where I was last Saturday doing a WLP new Masses reading session) that the whole process of the new translation has really become a "I Believe in the Holy Spirit" time for me. Sometimes it's been a mantra while I clench my fists in frustration, sure, or a way to energize myself in the middle of some of the tedious tasks; but more and more, as we come to see these new settings and the WLP publication of the Missal come to fruition, "I Believe in the Holy Spirit" has become a prayer I offer most often in a Spirit of joyful hope.
One example: the revision of Jan Vermulst's Christian Unity Mass led Richard Proulx to compose the Gloria Simplex, which led Michael O'Connor, OP to write a Missa Simplex based on that Gloria.
You can literally see the Spirit that guided the artists whose works from the Vatican Library grace our Missal. Best of all, I've gotten to see - and hear! - the Spirit in the voices of people singing our revised and new Mass settings.
I've really begun to dedicate more of my energies to being on the lookout for where the Spirit might be zooming around during this time, so I might be able to find an opportunity to join in and bear the Spirit's fruit (Gal. 5:22).

Jerry Galipeau, D. Min. said...

Thanks so much, Alan, for your thoughtful and Spirit-filled comment. I don't want to sound self-serving here, because I am sure others from other music publishers have felt the same way, but when these texts come to life through the extraordinary talents of our composers, it is a moment of joy and hope. For me it has been a real manifestation of one of the Spirit's "seven gifts:" reverence.
Jerry

Anonymous said...

Jerry,
My husband and I attended your presentation on March 2 at the Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers Building in Ossining, NY. We want to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us. We found the day to be very informative and thought provoking. I loved your analogy of growing into the Gifts of the Holy Spirit to a child who grows into jeans that are a size too big. You truly inspired us to lead a more Christian life and we are very grateful to you for having added so much to our lives.