Monday, January 24, 2011

Putting Things In Perspective

A happy Monday to you all.

I spent the weekend in a large parish in Michigan. I presented a keynote and a workshop on Saturday, focused on living the sacramental life. Then I was invited to give a presentation at each of the weekend Masses.

Unfortunately, while everyone was at Mass late Sunday morning, the rectory where I was staying was burglarized. My laptop and cell phone were stolen, as well as a few other things. The rectory lost some electronics as well. Pretty astounding that as over a thousand of us were listening to God's word and receiving the Eucharist, just a few yards away, this crime was being committed.

The pastoral staff felt quite bad about the theft of my things. But, you know, I reassured them and asked them not to worry about me. It was a blessing that no one was hurt. Frankly, I am learning that all of these things need to be put into perspective. Yes, I lost some work that was not backed up, but there are people who have lost so much more in their lives. And, things are just that, things.

So hopefully I will be back up and running on a new computer here at the office. The one that was stolen was my actual work computer, the laptop that I hook up to the main systems here at WLP.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jerry, you are extremely gracious regarding the events of this past weekend. It could not have been an easy Monday back at the office for you, trying to rebuild everything on your laptop. However, please know that you touched a lot of lives with your talks at our parish. Your presentation at Mass was spot on. May God continue to bless you in your ministry!

Chironomo said...

I will make a plug for Carbonite automatic online backup... best 40 dollars I've ever spent!

Churches are common targets for theft, particularly on Sunday mornings when collection bags are left in the rectory... theives usually know where the cash is, and the perpetrators have usually taken the time to find out when these "drops" are made and where the money is stored.

At a parish where I previously served (Palm Bay Fl.) the associate was held up at gunpoint in the parking lot carrying a plastic bag with the collection money in it... about 10-12 thousand dollars. The theif had watched the procedure for several weeks and knew just where and when he would be coming out.