Monday, November 15, 2010

A Thrill Yesterday and Surely a Thrill in January

Monday has dawned with glorious sunshine here in Chicago.

I had a bit of a surprise yesterday at St. James, my parish here on the near south side of Chicago. Snapped this photo yesterday after Mass:


When I picked up the program for Mass, I noticed that one of my own pieces, On the Wings of Change, had been chosen as the song after communion. Our music director came over to me at the Sign of Peace and asked if I would play it. So, there I sat, after Communion, playing this piece with the community gradually joining the choir as it unfolded. I wrote this piece for the National Council of Catholic Women in the early 1990's. It's always very moving to hear one's own song sung at the liturgy. I have very few published pieces, so this was an unusual thrill for me.

I wanted to alert you to a little contest that WLP is running over on Facebook. We are giving away a trip for two (including airfare—anywhere from the "lower 48 states"—and two nights hotel) to New York City to attend the John Angotti concert at Carnegie Hall on Friday, January 14. It's easy to enter, so please take a look. This promises to be a great performance, as John will be joined by other artists and a 200 voice choir. I am planning to attend and would love it if one of the regular readers of Gotta Sing Gotta Pray won the prize!



I hope the week ahead is a good one for you. Please pray for our bishops who are meeting this week in Baltimore. They have some challenges this week, including the election of a new president, as well as dealing with what has been occurring with the new translation. I raised a few Hail Mary's for them this morning.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

4 comments:

WLP Music said...

I have just heard from a reliable source that the choir at the Carnegie Hall event will number closer to 300, not 200. Should be an extraordinary event!

Jerry Galipeau, D. Min. said...

Wow, that's great!
Jerry

Andy Varga said...

"On the Wings of Change" is one of our choir's (and my!) yearly favorites! Love singing the bass line!

Sue Wheeler said...

It was a thrill to sing "On the Wings of Change" again - great piece!