Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Pray for the Seven Gifts

Wednesday greetings to you all.

The translation issues continue. While on the bike this morning in my spin class at the health club, I began my usual "spinning" of the decades of the rosary. This morning I prayed for my sister who is living with cancer, as well as for my struggling parish. Then I decided to pray for the Church during this troubling time with regard to the new translation. As my legs spun around, I tried to focus my prayer and found it very difficult to do so. For whom was I praying? When I thought about what has been going on, I began to get a little angry and frustrated with those who have "tinkered" with the text. I quickly realized that was getting me and prayer nowhere. I prayed for the pope. Then I prayed in thanksgiving for those who are addressing the problems squarely; I wasn't sure who exactly to pray for, so I decided to ask God to bless and protect the work of the staff at ICEL, particularly Monsignor Andrew Wadsworth and Mr. Peter Finn. Then I asked the Blessed Mother to guide, protect, and bless the work of Monsignor Anthony Sherman and Fr. Rick Hilgartner at the Bishops Committee on Divine Worship. If I think that I as a publisher have been frustrated over these past few years, I think it is a drop in the bucket compared to what these people have experienced.

Finally, I prayed simply for people in parishes. And I prayed for a renewal of the first gift of the Holy Spirit we have all received in the sacrament of Confirmation: Wisdom.

Perhaps today is a good day to remind ourselves of that prayer from the Rite of Confirmation. As we join  hearts and voices at this time, let's ask for an new outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon all who are working hard to help us to pray.



All-powerful God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
by water and the Holy Spirit
you freed your sons and daughters from sin 
and gave them new life.
Send your Holy Spirit upon them
to be their helper and guide.
Give them the spirit of wisdom and understanding,
the spirit of right judgment and courage,
the spirit of knowledge and reverence.
Fill them with the spirit of wonder and awe in your presence.
We ask this through Christ our Lord.
Amen.



Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

4 comments:

Rich said...

As difficult as it is, I think it's time to step back and leave it in God's hands. There's nothing more we can do.

Joan Grabowski said...

What a beautiful testament, beautiful fruit borne of struggling to pray. Your sharing that prayer from the Confirmation Rite was both inspired and encouraging. Let us keep on keepin' on, with our eyes firmly fixed on God.

Anonymous said...

Rich, I respectfully disagree . . . to this extent. By all means we must pray and place the matter in God's hands. But then we must work. We must ask the questions that, for instance, Father Ruff is asking over at the Pray Tell Blog:

Who is responsible for this: Cardinal Pell? Cardinal George? Monsignor Moroney? These are the people who have been doing all the "selling" of this Missal. How did a Roman Congregation with several English speakers assigned to it allow a monstrosity of poor English like the sample texts we've seen to come out?

I think of Saint Thomas More in Robert Bolt's A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS: "God made the angels to show him splendor - as he made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But Man he made to serve him wittily, in the tangle of his mind!"

Let's use our hearts and souls in facing this "Missal Mess," but our minds too. And stand upon our rights as the baptized people of God to make sure that the servants of God's servants do their jobs!

kkollwitz said...

That's a terrific Confirmation photo...were you there?