Saturday, November 6, 2010

Metuchen Diocese: Apprentices to Christ

Greetings from the Diocese of Metuchen, New Jersey.

I will be delivering the keynote at their faith formation conference in a few hours. The theme for the day is "Apprentices to Christ." I have been invited to talk about the way the catechumenate can serve as a model for life-long faith formation. I guess I am the right person for the keynote, since I have focused on this issue for years, particularly through my book, Apprenticed to Christ.




The fact that both the Congregation for the Clergy (through the General Directory for Catechesis) and our own bishops (through the National Directory for Catechesis) say explicitly that the baptismal catechumenate is the "inspiration for all catechesis offers the Church a tremendous challenge. While not neglecting a systematic formation in the faith, the apprenticeship model challenges us to embrace a "learning-by-doing" principle in Christian formation.

This is exciting stuff, folks. I hope that today shows the good people here in Metuchen that there are great opportunities and challenges when one embraces this vision.

I hope that your weekend is a good one and that you enjoy your extra hour of sleep!

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

No comments: