Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Up From the Earth: The Rescues

A good Wednesday to you all.

I just finished reading Gordon Lathrop's post over on Pray Tell (which many of you have probably already read). If you haven't, please take the time to read the post. Father Anthony, thank you for sharing this post with us.

I will comment more about my experience with the Jesuit pastors up at Marquette University in tomorrow's post.



I have been unable to get the images of the rescued Chilean miners out of my head all day. As a matter of fact, I woke up at around 3:30 this morning, made my way to the sofa and watched three more miners rescued.

Has anyone else seen the obvious connections here to the images we carry within us of the raising of Lazarus, or even of the raising of the Lord? When I saw the tube containing the first miner come through that rock, I couldn't help but think of Martha and Mary as Lazarus came forth from the grave. What is more remarkable are the stories that are beginning to emerge as these men begin to speak about the ordeal and the profound sense of conversion that has deeply gripped some of them. We sing texts like "up from the earth" and we make comparisons between the dying and rising that the Lord Jesus accomplished and the kind of imitation of that dying and rising we are called to each day in our journeys of conversion to Christ. This was a pretty graphic portrayal—for me—and has been with me all day.

It has been a remarkable day for this little planet of ours, hasn't it? I know that there is a lot of media hype about the rescue, but it is things like this that put me in touch with my brothers and sisters around the world and help make me realize that not everyone looks, sounds, feels, touches, works, cries, and laughs exactly like me. Watching those men's faces and seeing the welcome they are receiving makes my heart leap with gratitude. It also calls me to remember that there is a large part of the world's population that lives and works in horrible conditions. Today I pray for them and also lift a prayer of gratitude for the rescue of the miners.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reflection on this human interest story. In addition to the awe I felt seeing just one miner rescued this morning before I headed to work, I am also thinking more and more about how the difficult jobs of so many are directly related to the ways I choose to live on this earth. I am suddenly thinking more and more about the energy I consume and what is necessary and what is not. And, I am thinking more and more about what really matters: the love and company of family and friends, simple comforts of home, the pure miracle it is to live and move and breathe and feel the sun shine each day, and so on.