Monday, October 4, 2010

New Translation: Suspicion Turning to Intrigue?

Good Monday to you all.

What a whirlwind of a weekend. I gave presentations on the new translation on Friday night and Saturday in parishes in the Archdiocese of Milwaukee. Yesterday afternoon, I gave a presentation to 100 plus liturgical ministers at St. Mary of the Annunciation Parish in Mundelein, here in Illinois. I am now getting ready to head to Philadelphia in a few hours to speak at the Archdiocesan staff day tomorrow; and the topic is—you guessed it—the new translation of the Missale Romanum.

Folks, I find myself getting more and more comfortable with these presentations on the new translation. In the past, I have talked about the content of Comme le Prevoit and  Liturgiam Authenticam. Beginning this past weekend, I have given people actual excerpts from these texts so that they can see for themselves the differences that these two documents make as far as the rules of translation go. I think, for the most part, that this approach has helped people understand why Pope John Paul II and those around him saw the need for a new translation. When we start to talk about a "sacral vernacular," as Liturgiam Authenticam puts it, I think that people become intrigued about how the new experience of a new translation might mean for the Church. Some people express their lament that the pastoral approach enshrined in Comme le Prevoit seems to have been abandoned. But when we begin to talk about how the language of the liturgy should be distinct from ordinary discourse, many people begin to see some pastoral wisdom behind Liturgiam Authenticam. Of course, with no direct experience of liturgical celebrations using the new translation, much remains to be seen. I think people are beginning to get keenly interested in what all of this means in the next few years.

Well folks, that's it for now. I'll try to post tomorrow. Off to Philadelphia.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

1 comment:

Dean Daniels said...

Jerry,

Thanks for your time here in the Arch of Milw.

Dean