Friday, August 6, 2010

Look for the Gems in This Great Garden

Friday has dawned warm and dry here in Chicago.

Chinatown here in Chicago is one of my favorite places in the city. A few nights ago, after eating a delicious meal at one of the many restaurants, I noticed a sign directing people to "Ping Tom Park." I didn't know that there was a park in Chinatown. I followed the signs, which led me to a beautifully tranquil park that had been constructed along the south branch of the Chicago river. This is an area that is surrounded by warehouses, train trestles, and many bridges. It is about as urban as you can get. Yet, built here is this wonderful park. Here are a few photos I took.





Discovering these hidden gems is what makes living in a city like Chicago such a great experience. I'll never forget the first time I discovered another one of those gems, the Alfred Caldwell Lilly Pool in Lincoln Park. I was riding my bike along the lakefront one day and saw this tiny entrance off of the street. It was an "Alice in Wonderland" kind of experience. When I walked through the tiny entrance, this is what opened before my eyes:


I share these experiences with you today to urge you always to be on the lookout for these gems that we too often overlook. God's given us such a garden to tend here on this planet. I hope you discover more beautiful places and spaces in that garden.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Friday morning from the Left Coast!

Upon reading Jerry's posting, I did some quick online checking and found an informative site about "Ping Tom Memorial Park."
It includes mention that the location of the park was previously home to an old railyard.

You can access it at:
tinyurl.com/Ping-Tom-Park

-bari colombari (in cloudy portland)