Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Prayer for Father Jim Field

Happy Wednesday to you all.

Severe weather is threatening us here in the Chicago area once again. Skies are very dark. Hopefully we get through this in better shape than we did last Friday.

I was at my spin class this morning at the gym and praying the Rosary and thinking of my friend, Fr. Jim Field. Jim is a terrific pastor in the Archdiocese of Boston. He's also been on the board of directors of the North American Forum on the Catechumenate. Jim has been writing for us here at J. S. Paluch and WLP for a number of years. I received word yesterday that Jim is probably at the end of his journey in this life. Jim has lived with cancer for several years. When I first heard of his diagnosis, he was added to my spinning class prayer list. So, Jim, this morning you were front and center once again. I prayed, through the intercession of Mary, Regina Cleri, "Queen of the Clergy," that you will know the presence of God.


Folks, I love being a Catholic. Despite all the problems that plague the Church, this is still my family. Today I am reminded of Saint Paul's words:

"But God has so constructed the body as to give greater honor to a part that is without it, so that there may be no division in the body, but that the parts may have the same concern for one another. If one part suffers, all the parts suffer with it; if one part is honored, all the parts share its joy. Now you are Christ's body and individually parts of it."

Friends, I invite you today to join me in praying for Fr. Jim Field, one of God's suffering servants. Let us offer our own sufferings to the Lord in solidarity with Jim's suffering. Let's pray that one day all members of Christ's body will be gathered at the table, will there will be no more tears, no more suffering.

Please consider listening to my song, Help Me, Lord, as we pray together.

Gotta sing. Gotta pray.

2 comments:

Anne said...

He's been an inspiration. What an example for all of us! I learned much of what I know about liturgy from him. For that I am grateful.
Also, I hear his parish celebrated his 20th anniversary to the priesthood without him. Had to be an emotional day for those folks at Incarnation.
http://www.wickedlocal.com/melrose/topstories/x1600622220/Melrose-Incarnation-s-ailing-priest-buoyed-by-friends-faith

Anonymous said...

I only knew him for 3 days in 2007. I felt like I have known Fr. Jim for a lifetime. He will be my "go-to-saint" in heaven.